8:30 AM - 4:00 PM Eastern
Genealogy In Bloom with Jean Wilcox Hibben; PhD, MA
Life on the Farm: Records, Reports, & More - Learn more about how to find your farming ancestor in the records left behind – not only in the databases of Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org, but also in the Courthouses and annual reports, available through the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).
Clue to Clue: Tracking a Family Over Time and Miles (2 Part Session) - Using various clues, this presentation shows how to move from one piece of information to the next to piece together the life of an ancestral family. The steps used are illustrated so that they can be followed by the beginner as well as the seasoned genealogist. Use of census, probate, property, and personal records are explained.
Doing Background Research for Genealogy Television: It’s Not Like it Looks on TV - With the popularity of genealogy-focused television programs, many people are getting excited about doing their family history in an hour or so. Genealogists know that the appearance of the ease of finding long lost ancestors is nothing compared to the actual experience of doing the research (much of which is not shown on these TV programs). However, many genealogists are finding themselves approached by television production companies for assistance in this type of research. What is it really like to find ancestors with the limitations of a TV production timeline? Get a look behind the scenes, ask some questions about the final product vs. what was really found, learn about a different aspect of genealogy that is fast becoming a fad. And we’ll do it in an hour!
Please click here for a full bio on the Genealogy in Bloom speaker, Jean Wilcox Hibben; Ph.D., MA.
460 Kreag Rd
Pittsford, NY 14534
click here for Google Maps
- Genealogy in Bloom is free for registered RGS members. Consider joining RGS for $25 and receive Genealogy in Bloom for free as a member benefit..
- Non-members event cost is $30, which allows you to participate either in-person or over Zoom.
- RGS members and non-members must register for this event and choose between participating in-person or over Zoom.
- Your invoice with event details will be emailed to the email address used to register for the event.
- 8:30 - 9:00 a.m. - Event Check-in Opens. Bidding starts on silent auction.
- 9:00 - 9:15 a.m. - Welcome and announcements
- 9:15 - 10:30 a.m. - Presentation: Life on the Farm: Records, Reports, & More
- 10:30 - 10:45 a.m. - Break
- 10:45 - 11:55 a.m. - Presentation: Clue to Clue: Tracking a Family Over Time and Miles (Part 1)
- 11:55 a.m. - Drawing of first two raffle books
- Noon - 1:15 pm. - Lunch
- 1:15 - 2:30 p.m. - Presentation: Clue to Clue: Tracking a Family Over Time and Miles (Part 2)
- 2:30 - 2:45 p.m. - Break. Last chance to bid in silent auction or buy book raffle tickets.
- 2:45 - 4:00 p.m. - Presentation: Doing Background Research for Genealogy Television: It’s Not Like it Looks on TV
- 4:00 p.m. - Closing remarks, recognition, and drawing of last two raffle books
Participants are encouraged to bring lunch and socialize/network during the lunch time break. Food will not be provided or available onsite. Please check out the list of restaurant/meal options within driving distance of event.
Brugger's Bagels, Tom Wahl's, Pontillo's, Agave Express Mexican Bar and Grill, Dunkin and Tim Hortons are on Route 96 - Pittsford Victor Rd. (exit left onto Kreag Rd., turn right or left onto Route 96).
Wegman's, Taco Bell, McDonald's, Panera, Wendy's, Applebee's, Starbucks, Dibella's, Boccaccini's Italian Bistro, Tandoor of India, Chipotle, Sakura Garden, and Joe's Brooklyn Pizza are on Route 31 - Pittsford Palmyra Rd. (exit right onto Kreag Rd., turn right onto Route 31).
Participants are encouraged to bring water for the event, water will not be available to purchase at the event.
Silent Auction & Book Raffle:
Genealogy in Bloom will include a silent book auction and book raffle throughout the event. A great number of genealogy and local history books will be available during the book auction. Cash and check will be taken as payment options for the silent auction and book raffle.
If you have registered to attend over Zoom, the Zoom link will be emailed to you within 72-hours of the event. If you do not receive a Zoom link within that time period, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.